Policy & Advocacy
IDEA aims to empower its members to become active in making the case for Development Education. We support our members to improve their skills in this area through workshops, trainings and participation in collective policy submissions.
Global Education Network Europe (GENE) review of Development Education in Ireland
The Global Education Network Europe (GENE) carried out a peer review of Development Education in Ireland in 2015. IDEA played a key role in ensuring that the voice of the Development Education sector was reflected in this review and that as many actors as possible from across Development Education in Ireland were involved in the process. The sector was actively engaged in this work, with IDEA Task Groups on Formal Education, the Adult and Community sector and the Youth sector meeting between January and April 2015 to outline successes, challenges, opportunities and strategic priorities for Development Education. Read the full GENE Global Education in Ireland Report here.
Policy and Practice
IDEA is also developing guides to Development Education Policy and Practice in Ireland.
Recent Policy Submissions
Here is a selection of recent policy submissions made by IDEA in collaboration with its members.
- IDEA Pre-Budget Submission 2019
- IDEA Submission on Irish Aid White Paper Consultation 2018
- IDEA Submission on Ireland’s National Implementation Plan for the Sustainable Development Goals 2017
- IDEA Submission to the Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade and Defence October 2017 - Review of the Irish Aid programme
- IDEA Submission to Citizens' Assembly on Climate Change 2017
- IDEA Formal Education Working Group Submission to the NCCA consultation on Draft Guidelines on Wellbeing in Junior Cycle 2016
- IDEA Submission to the GENE Review 2015
- Adult and Community Education Task Group Submission to the GENE Review 2015
- Formal Education Task Group Submission to the GENE Review 2015
- Youth Task Group Submission to the GENE Review 2015
- Quality & Impact Working Group Submission to the GENE Review 2015
- Department of Education and Skills Statement of Strategy Submission Oct 2014
- Review of Ireland's Foreign Policy, 2014
- IDEA Formal Education Working Group CSPE Short Course Submission
- National Strategy for Education for Sustainable Development, 2013
- Submission to Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, 2013
- Development Education and Global Development Beyond 2015: Position Paper
- IDEA Formal Education Working Group Submission to the Teaching Council consultation on Cosán